Dupes of Non-Physical

The only rule: There are no rules.
It is currently September 16th, 2024, 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: From the Thompson Quadrant
PostPosted: December 15th, 2011, 10:22 am 
Site Admin

[The film {The Day the Earth Stood Still - 2008}, for all its Hollywood clichéd script-writing, is also prescient in its statement that the extraterrestrial civilizations are all around us. Long ago in my 1977 book Darkness and Scattered Light (pp. 127-128.), I suggested that perhaps the dolphins had by-passed civilization and tools that required opposable thumbs, and that their large brains had evolved down a chreod in which they beamed musical/mathematical melodies to the galaxies, and that the galaxies responded with theme and variation. The remake of the 1951 film follows this line of thinking and proposes a McLuhanesque "cultural retrieval" of animism in which the mind of animals, bacteria, and cephalopods of the primordial deep are attuned to the stars. It is humans that have become the metastatic cancer of the Earth.

Such a refreshing thought is certainly a cure for our anthropocentric vanity, but it ignores the possibility that we may be the planetary bacteria at work in recycling the hidden oceans of oil into a gas in a warmer atmosphere for a new biosphere. Just as the cyanobacteria were a threat to the continuance of the methane atmosphere, but served to create the oxygen atmosphere we now temporarily enjoy, so we humans may be unconsciously contributing to a new evolutionary biosphere beyond our present global industrial civilization.

Science fiction is entertaining because it allows us to think beyond the limits of contemporary literary fiction. And so it is fun to think otherwise and accept the possibility that extraterrestrial life is all around us. Unfortunately, like a flashlight in search of darkness, our act of looking seems to chase it away, so we are at an evolutionary moment when it is necessary to develop new modes of perception.] - William Irwin Thompson, "Nature and Invisible Environments", 2010

http://www.wildriverreview.com/Column/T ... /9-10-2010

Bob Neveritt

Post subject: Re: From the Thompson Quadrant
PostPosted: December 15th, 2011, 3:47 pm 

Quote:
When the body senses there is an invisible environment of threat, the mind imagines what it cannot know. WIT
No-one represents the Thompson Quad-rant better than William Irwin Thompson.
It'll be nice (one day) when WIT tips his hat to
predecessors such as J.L.,
contemporaries such as T.M., and to the
evermore comprehensive,
evermore deadly,
Dobbs clan.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2011, 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

11:11 wrote:
Quote:
When the body senses there is an invisible environment of threat, the mind imagines what it cannot know. WIT
No-one represents the Thompson Quad-rant better than William Irwin Thompson.
It'll be nice (one day) when WIT tips his hat to
predecessors such as J.L.,
contemporaries such as T.M., and to the
evermore comprehensive,
evermore deadly,
Dobbs clan.

BOB: I don't think WIT will ever praise his acquaintance, Terence McKenna, ever.

At least, this reluctance has been evident whenever WIT was asked about TM.

John Lilly has not been commented on by WIT as far as I know.

WIT is no fool.

Bob Neveritt

PostPosted: December 16th, 2011, 2:32 am 

I'm not trying to put these guys on a pedestal necessarily ...
Just suggesting that WIT could never talk about dolphins as eloquently as he does
if it wasn't for John Lilly ... the first human on record to experience, write and talk about ...
Quote:
"Dolphins beaming musical/mathematical melodies to the galaxies, as the galaxies respond with theme and variation."
WIT is riding on other peoples accomplishments to some degree.
That's OK ... acknowledge the source.
But as I tried to say he is best in his class.
One of the best four or five "Genuine Fakes" alive today.

Don't think I didn't notice "Bob Neveritt" is in the Thompson quad-rant of Dobbs' "Tiny Note" chart.
Noticed he didn't complain about the Dobbs Clan part of my statement?